Monday 9 July 2018

"I was obsessed with loss; not surprisingly, I was also acquisitive, possessive. The two tendencies..."

“I was obsessed with loss; not surprisingly, I was also acquisitive, possessive. The two tendencies fed each other; every impulse to extend my holdings increased the fundamental anxiety. Actual loss, loss of mere property, was a release, an abrupt transition from anticipation to expertise. In passing, I learned something about fire, about its appetite. I watched the destruction of all that had been, all that would not be again, and all that remained took on a radiance. These are, in the deepest sense, ordinary experiences. On the subject of change, of loss, we all attain to authority. In my case, the timing was efficient. I was in my late thirties; perhaps I’d learned all I could about preparation, about gathering. The next lesson is abandon, letting go.”

- Louise Glück, “106,″ Proofs and Theories: Essays on Poetry (via objectsource)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management